Winning the War of Words

• Join War Room Forum!

Welcome Deplorable! Please take a moment to Sign Up for a free account so you can join in on the LIVE CHAT and forum DISCUSSIONS.

BNoz

Jun 9, 2021
The medium of the artist is paint. The medium of the communicator is words, and conservatives have embraced words and language that hurts our cause. I am suggesting a serious discussion of how we argue our intellectual case to those not already on our side.
We need to BURY the term "mainstream media". This offensive term is a sad legacy of Rush Limbaugh, and suggests that the lying leftists at CNN, MSNBC, et al are somehow in the center of the political debate, while the truth-tellers on our side are "conservative media". WRONG! WE ARE THE MAINSTREAM and The NY Times & Washington Post should be referred to by any term that always characterizs them as dishonest, liberal, fake, propagandistic, radical, etc.
What does the color red suggest? Red China, the Red Guard, communism? Clearly the color suggests where the Democrat party is and NOT where the Republican Party is. Does the term "turning red" suggest becoming Republican or Democrat? We should either reverse the color designations or refer to a county or state as Republican or Democrat
Never refer to Biden as president. That title can only be earned -- not stolen. His WH occupancy could more likely be called a regime than an administration. We MUST emphasize at all times China Joe' illegitimacy.
Illegal migrants is an oxymoron. Immigration is a LEGAL process, while breaking in is not.This is like calling shoplifting illegal buying. Refer to them as illegal aliens or simply illegals.
Stop referring to transgender male athletes as SHE. If we do, we are accepting them as female and, if they are, maybe they have the right to compete against "other" girls.
I have other ideas, but would like to prompt a discussion on how we best present our arguments to those who, as yet, may not be on our side .If you have criticisms of this list, suggestions for additions, or simply think the choice of words we use is irrelevant, I would appreciate your input.

countermoon

Feb 17, 2021
American midwest
"or simply think the choice of words we use is irrelevant"

For a while I was thinking of writing a book on this subject until I realized it's really a sub-set of behavior. Behavior is much more complicated than word usage, and it leads to dead-ends, or least to more digging and ambiguity, more than I wanted to take on. I realized I didn't have any answers, and my attempts at persuasion would probably fail. Very few people would likely want to read the kind of book I had in mind. The close attention you pay to words, and that I pay to words, is shared only by, what, five percent of the population? The remaining 95 percent pays v. little attention to words. Instead, people rely on others to tell them what to say.
  • Ever notice many years ago when everyone started beginning a conversation with "So...", when actually it's a word used in conclusion or after a proof.
  • What about "I know, right?" Who started that one?
These quirks come up, and people repeat them without knowing why. It's amusing and maybe somewhat terrifying.

There many reasons for this conformity, perhaps chief among them: birds of a feather flock together. People are natural conformists. It's a hardwired survival instinct. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Go with the flow. Blend in. Don't rock the boat. In fact, strange birds who separate from the flock are in danger of being shunned, hurt, assassinated, crucified.

I suspect all animals are natural collectivists, traveling in flocks, herds, and packs. Birds belong with the flock. If people leave their pet birds alone too much, the bird becomes "depressed" and begins to pluck out his feathers. He "feels" ugly and abandoned, and he thinks it's his fault. Once this process starts, it's hard to reverse. The bird ends up looking stripped and sickly, a skeleton of his colorful self.

Why does that neighborhood dog always bark? Because he doesn't like being alone. Who does? It's a simple point, but I bet every neighborhood has people who don't understand it. God knows why. Clergy exhort us to be good Christians, but we can't even treat dogs properly.

You can try to persuade people via reason to use different words, to think harder about words, but it might fail because reason isn't behind their use of words. Conformity is. And it's not all bad. It can save you from trouble and give you a great deal that is worthwhile. But it's not all good either. It can't be the default position for every situation.

Americans are a weird combination of individualist and conformist. We are descended from people who had a real problem with authority, so much so that they left their European homes and made a dangerous trip across the sea to "start over". Anything but Europe. Anything. Even if we have to live in the woods, eat squirrels, and fight off the Indians, we're going to stay here no matter what.

But you never really start over from scratch. America's lack of tradition, lack of reverence for custom, convention, and continuity, makes us loose cannons. Not all bad. But it also isolates. Those old rules don't work for me, we say, but then we have to decide: Which ones do?

To answer that one, we look around the room, we look at neighbors, at TV, movies, the internet. This is where conformity comes in. If the crowd is doing it, that must be consensus, and it must be OK. A show of hands means I'm safe. Safety in numbers. Safety in crowds. Anonymity where I can't be singled out as a strange bird and roasted.

Until that doesn't work either.

Last edited:

BNoz

Jun 9, 2021
"or simply think the choice of words we use is irrelevant"

For a while I was thinking of writing a book on this subject until I realized it's really a sub-set of behavior. Behavior is much more complicated than word usage, and it leads to dead-ends, or least to more digging and ambiguity, more than I wanted to take on. I realized I didn't have any answers, and my attempts at persuasion would probably fail. Very few people would likely want to read the kind of book I had in mind. The close attention you pay to words, and that I pay to words, is shared only by, what, five percent of the population? The remaining 95 percent pays v. little attention to words. Instead, people rely on others to tell them what to say.
  • Ever notice many years ago when everyone started beginning a conversation with "So...", when actually it's a word used in conclusion or after a proof.
  • What about "I know, right?" Who started that one?
These quirks come up, and people repeat them without knowing why. It's amusing and maybe somewhat terrifying.

There many reasons for this conformity, perhaps chief among them: birds of a feather flock together. People are natural conformists. It's a hardwired survival instinct. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Go with the flow. Blend in. Don't rock the boat. In fact, strange birds who separate from the flock are in danger of being shunned, hurt, assassinated, crucified.

I suspect all animals are natural collectivists, traveling in flocks, herds, and packs. Birds belong with the flock. If people leave their pet birds alone too much, the bird becomes "depressed" and begins to pluck out his feathers. He "feels" ugly and abandoned, and he thinks it's his fault. Once this process starts, it's hard to reverse. The bird ends up looking stripped and sickly, a skeleton of his colorful self.

Why does that neighborhood dog always bark? Because he doesn't like being alone. Who does? It's a simple point, but I bet every neighborhood has people who don't understand it. God knows why. Clergy exhort us to be good Christians, but we can't even treat dogs properly.

You can try to persuade people via reason to use different words, to think harder about words, but it might fail because reason isn't behind their use of words. Conformity is. And it's not all bad. It can save you from trouble and give you a great deal that is worthwhile. But it's not all good either. It can't be the default position for every situation.

Americans are a weird combination of individualist and conformist. We are descended from people who had a real problem with authority, so much so that they left their European homes and made a dangerous trip across the sea to "start over". Anything but Europe. Anything. Even if we have to live in the woods, eat squirrels, and fight off the Indians, we're going to stay here no matter what.

But you never really start over from scratch. America's lack of tradition, lack of reverence for custom, convention, and continuity, makes us loose cannons. Not all bad. But it also isolates. Those old rules don't work for me, we say, but then we have to decide: Which ones do?

To answer that one, we look around the room, we look at neighbors, at TV, movies, the internet. This is where conformity comes in. If the crowd is doing it, that must be consensus, and it must be OK. A show of hands means I'm safe. Safety in numbers. Safety in crowds. Anonymity where I can't be singled out as a strange bird and roasted.

Until that doesn't work either.
Appreciate the reply, but don;t agree with your conclusion. The left adheres to a very rigid style book of phrases. They must think it works. While I absolutely don;t propose a verbal style book, just listen to Republicans on the border issue. Most refer to the invasion as a "humanitarian crisis". It is that, however, the primary concern is the lack of border enforcement & an invasion by people who have no right to be here. Right or wrong they are using emotional rather than intellectual language to get support for ending the invasion. At some level, overtly or subliminally, people register a response. Notice how many people say prevaricate, dissemble, or say someone is not being straight forward rather than saying they lie. The word lie provokes a strong and usually negative response, so people temper their criticism through obfuscation. Additionally/ people respond to the repetition of phrases, and a concept becomes more "legitimate" to them because of familiarity.

Made in the U.S.A

Feb 19, 2021
Appreciate the reply, but don;t agree with your conclusion. The left adheres to a very rigid style book of phrases. They must think it works. While I absolutely don;t propose a verbal style book, just listen to Republicans on the border issue. Most refer to the invasion as a "humanitarian crisis". It is that, however, the primary concern is the lack of border enforcement & an invasion by people who have no right to be here. Right or wrong they are using emotional rather than intellectual language to get support for ending the invasion. At some level, overtly or subliminally, people register a response. Notice how many people say prevaricate, dissemble, or say someone is not being straight forward rather than saying they lie. The word lie provokes a strong and usually negative response, so people temper their criticism through obfuscation. Additionally/ people respond to the repetition of phrases, and a concept becomes more "legitimate" to them because of familiarity.
I agree 100%!!! Words are powerful and one can look directly at the dems tactics of manipulating people through their choice of wording and see the impact it has. Ted Cruz has recently tried calling their radical bill proposals by their ‘true’ names and for some reason many conservatives didn’t continue the effort? No surprise and disadvantageous for us. It’s very important to call things exactly what they are. The inequality act that is exactly what it really is!!! One dem will say something then the next thing you know that’s all you hear. “Birthing person”??? Please tell me why I still hear that stupidity!!! Contrary to what some say, I like Honorable🇺🇸President Trumps🇺🇸blunt honesty of calling things what they are. “Fake news”!!! That’s exactly what they are fake news!!! People relate to the truth and in this day and age I think they are starving for it. I think as long as the true wording of these things are spoken of ,in a tactful manner, it will be a very welcomed breath of fresh air.

BNoz

Jun 9, 2021

I agree 100%!!! Words are powerful and one can look directly at the dems tactics of manipulating people through their choice of wording and see the impact it has. Ted Cruz has recently tried calling their radical bill proposals by their ‘true’ names and for some reason many conservatives didn’t continue the effort? No surprise and disadvantageous for us. It’s very important to call things exactly what they are. The inequality act that is exactly what it really is!!! One dem will say something then the next thing you know that’s all you hear. “Birthing person”??? Please tell me why I still hear that stupidity!!! Contrary to what some say, I like Honorable🇺🇸President Trumps🇺🇸blunt honesty of calling things what they are. “Fake news”!!! That’s exactly what they are fake news!!! People relate to the truth and in this day and age I think they are starving for it. I think as long as the true wording of these things are spoken of ,in a tactful manner, it will be a very welcomed breath of fresh air.
Thanks so much for the kind words.We are censored everywhere so we most use forceful and crystal clear about our views. As Pat Buchanan said -- "no pale pastels"

Reactions: Made in the U.S.A

countermoon

Feb 17, 2021
American midwest
Repulicans have always been at best semi-articulate.

War Room Live Chat

Hey Deplorable! Join us...

Never miss out. Join in on all that our community as to offer!

Sign Me Up!

War Room Podcast

War Room Live Chat