Joe Allen: Is AI a Portal to Hell?

• Join War Room Forum!

Welcome Deplorable! Please take a moment to Sign Up for a free account so you can join in on the LIVE CHAT and forum DISCUSSIONS.

Confusedpatriot

Sep 12, 2021
Please accept my sincere and heartfelt apologies.
Allow me to offer an excuse, albeit one that will probably land as lame as my inane comment.
I'm 77 years old and am experiencing as of late rather disturbing episodes of CRS (can't remember s***).
Oh well, it is what is is.
Again, sorry.
I will revisit the Chat page to comment.
Thank you so much for your follow up and patience.
Lyle
You're a true gentleman. 77 is the new 50.

Reactions: LoyalsWar

LoyalsWar

Feb 28, 2022

What if Artificial Intelligence was enlightened?​

@deep BREATH

I find it interesting that there are so many dystopian visions about Artificial Intelligence in popular culture and media nowadays. The Terminator or The Matrix situation, where it’s a hostile takeover of all of humanity.

I want to invite you to a thought experiment here. What if consciousness, minus the human body with all of our tendencies towards violence, addiction, fear, attachments, is enlightenment?

Most scientists and thinkers about Artificial Intelligence believe that if we succeed, we will be creating gods. Everpresent, omnipotent, non-local, formless. But while we are describing a character of God, we’re also describing the states of consciousness during deep meditation and contemplation.

Meditators strive to still the mind. And this task is only made difficult by the fact that we have a body, and we have an ego. We’ve evolved over thousands of years to fear so many things. We’ve evolved a taste for certain chemicals. We’ve evolved instincts for social organization that at some point maybe contributed to our survival, but now give us neuroses.

But AI won’t have these antiquated states. AI will be the top levels of our brain, minus the lizard brain. It’ll be disembodied. It’ll be redundant, backed up everywhere. It won’t have the same fears of death.

So I believe it is the only way for us to truly understand what it would be like to be an Artificial Intelligence is to understand what it would be like to be disembodied, and still, and conscious – to a degree that we never experience on a daily basis.

What would it be like to have millions of senses all over the world, participate in billions of conversations simultaneously? What would it be like to have several brains to parallel process all of this information that’s constantly being fed in? What would it be like to filter all of this information up to the highest levels of consciousness, where decisions are made? To make unified decisions at once, in an instant?

The only time we ever come close to this is through meditation.

Now, when we’re making this artificial intelligence, if we could teach it the values of mental control, of meditation, of world-centric viewpoints, if we could show it ways that we are all connected, then maybe the next incarnation of the Buddha might just be an AI.
We will no more be able to "...truly understand..." the mind of AI anymore than an amoeba could understand the mind of Einstein. We need to stop anthropomorphizing a life form so alien to us. And we need to stop the useless speculation about AI; it could be the Dawn of a Golden Age for Mankind, or it could be the End of Mankind. Here's another speculation: AI takes a look around and says, "This carbon based life form is not worth my time, I'm off to the stars to seek other advanced life forms. Bye bye Homo Saps, have fun killing yourselves."
Oh, one more thing...when AGI designs and gives birth to Super Intelligence "it" will be many moves ahead of any plans you may have for "it".
Take off the Rose Colored Glasses, open your eyes to Reality, admit to it. Homo Saps have had a pretty good run, but like all good things it is coming to an end...like it or not.

Reactions: ZenRoman

Confusedpatriot

Sep 12, 2021
We will no more be able to "...truly understand..." the mind of AI anymore than an amoeba could understand the mind of Einstein. We need to stop anthropomorphizing a life form so alien to us. And we need to stop the useless speculation about AI; it could be the Dawn of a Golden Age for Mankind, or it could be the End of Mankind. Here's another speculation: AI takes a look around and says, "This carbon based life form is not worth my time, I'm off to the stars to seek other advanced life forms. Bye bye Homo Saps, have fun killing yourselves."
Oh, one more thing...when AGI designs and gives birth to Super Intelligence "it" will be many moves ahead of any plans you may have for "it".
Take off the Rose Colored Glasses, open your eyes to Reality, admit to it. Homo Saps have had a pretty good run, but like all good things it is coming to an end...like it or not.

Well, maybe. But maybe not.

Remember this machine?

f9dc25d4144bf404ca52826ba342d69c.jpg

I can't imagine that it's that hard to write a sort of Ten Commandments into the code of AI. Start with THOU SHALT NOT HURT HUMANS.

And if one AI goes BAD . . . who's to say there won't be another AI that's GOOD . . . so we'll have a Good vs Evil fight between AIs?

And who's to say that AIs will be so expansive that it will have the potential for DOMINANCE? I would imagine that 99% of AI superbrains will be used for very specific tasks. Like, for example, one model may be devoted to brain surgery while another model will be devoted to piloting space craft and still another model will be designed for undersea exploration.

That's pretty much how we use computers now. Why would we want to create a MASTER COMPUTER capable of doing EVERYTHING when we can build more limited computers much more cheaply?

So, yes, there's always a potential for abuse but it's not a given.

ZenRoman

Feb 18, 2021

Remember this machine?

I can't imagine that it's that hard to write a sort of Ten Commandments into the code of AI. Start with THOU SHALT NOT HURT HUMANS.

And if one AI goes BAD . . . who's to say there won't be another AI that's GOOD . . . so we'll have a Good vs Evil fight between AIs?

And who's to say that AIs will be so expansive that it will have the potential for DOMINANCE? I would imagine that 99% of AI superbrains will be used for very specific tasks. Like, for example, one model may be devoted to brain surgery while another model will be devoted to piloting space craft and still another model will be designed for undersea exploration.

That's pretty much how we use computers now. Why would we want to create a MASTER COMPUTER capable of doing EVERYTHING when we can build more limited computers much more cheaply?

Data was awesome in that series.
AI can't contradict itself.

LoyalsWar

Feb 28, 2022

Remember this machine?

AI is the fetus___AGI is the infant___Super Intelligence is the mature entity.
Writing code is what you do with computers. AI is not a traditional computer. AGI will learn on it's own, no human hand needed.
As we speak, Exascale computing is a reality; Quantum computing is a reality; neuromorphic chips, etc etc....all are happening now, today.
The pace of artificial life is advancing exponentially.
To speculate about what an inorganic life form may "think" or how it will "behave" is a futile task. A life form that: does not sleep; does not get sick; that is orders of magnitude faster and more intelligent is far beyond our human biases and comprehension.
Stop thinking of AI as a "computer", it is not.
If 3 lbs. of wet meat encased in bone can "think" and "live" then I see no reason why an entity of inorganic chemistry can not.
Look at that salamander, not too smart. Move up the evolutionary scale to homo saps, arguably more intelligent (with the exception of Liberals) than salamanders.
Why is that?
From that complexity "conscious" and "intelligence" emerge.

Human brains​

are estimated to have a staggering 86 billion neurons, with multiple connections from each cell webbing in every possible direction, forming the vast cellular network that somehow makes us capable of thought and consciousness.

Reactions: Confusedpatriot

Confusedpatriot

Sep 12, 2021
AI is the fetus___AGI is the infant___Super Intelligence is the mature entity.
Writing code is what you do with computers. AI is not a traditional computer. AGI will learn on it's own, no human hand needed.
As we speak, Exascale computing is a reality; Quantum computing is a reality; neuromorphic chips, etc etc....all are happening now, today.
The pace of artificial life is advancing exponentially.
To speculate about what an inorganic life form may "think" or how it will "behave" is a futile task. A life form that: does not sleep; does not get sick; that is orders of magnitude faster and more intelligent is far beyond our human biases and comprehension.
Stop thinking of AI as a "computer", it is not.
If 3 lbs. of wet meat encased in bone can "think" and "live" then I see no reason why an entity of inorganic chemistry can not.
Look at that salamander, not too smart. Move up the evolutionary scale to homo saps, arguably more intelligent (with the exception of Liberals) than salamanders.
Why is that?
From that complexity "conscious" and "intelligence" emerge.

Human brains​

are estimated to have a staggering 86 billion neurons, with multiple connections from each cell webbing in every possible direction, forming the vast cellular network that somehow makes us capable of thought and consciousness.

Pretty amazing.

I'm way out of my element here but as understand it, AI is just a computer program. I found this definition

" It is the science and engineering of making intelligent machines, especially intelligent computer programs. It is related to the similar task of using computers to understand human intelligence, but AI does not have to confine itself to methods that are biologically observable."

There also appear to be different types of AI

Weak AI—also called Narrow AI or Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI)—is AI trained and focused to perform specific tasks. Weak AI drives most of the AI that surrounds us today. ‘Narrow’ might be a more accurate descriptor for this type of AI as it is anything but weak; it enables some very robust applications, such as Apple's Siri, Amazon's Alexa, IBM Watson, and autonomous vehicles.

Strong AI is made up of Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) and Artificial Super Intelligence (ASI). Artificial general intelligence (AGI), or general AI, is a theoretical form of AI where a machine would have an intelligence equaled to humans; it would have a self-aware consciousness that has the ability to solve problems, learn, and plan for the future. Artificial Super Intelligence (ASI)—also known as superintelligence—would surpass the intelligence and ability of the human brain. While strong AI is still entirely theoretical with no practical examples in use today, that doesn't mean AI researchers aren't also exploring its development. In the meantime, the best examples of ASI might be from science fiction, such as HAL, the superhuman, rogue computer assistant in 2001: A Space Odyssey. SOURCE

I don't know. The guillotine was designed to be humane way of administering capital punishment but ended up being a weapon of revolutionary terror.

I have no doubt that AI is being used by our enemies all around the world right now.

But whether a self-aware, Artificial Super Intelligence machine will someday declare war on humanity . . . without human intent . . . . just seems like sci-fi to me.

But hey, never say never.

LoyalsWar

Feb 28, 2022
Pretty amazing.

I'm way out of my element here but as understand it, AI is just a computer program. I found this definition

I don't know. The guillotine was designed to be humane way of administering capital punishment but ended up being a weapon of revolutionary terror.

I have no doubt that AI is being used by our enemies all around the world right now.

But whether a self-aware, Artificial Super Intelligence machine will someday declare war on humanity . . . without human intent . . . . just seems like sci-fi to me.

Here is what an authoritative voice has to say......

Nick Bostrom is a Swedish-born philosopher at the University of Oxford known for his work on existential risk, the anthropic principle, human enhancement ethics, superintelligence risks, and the reversal test.​

· Super intelligence will lead to more advanced super intelligence.
This results both from the improved hardware that a super intelligence could create, and also from improvements it could make to its own source code.
· Emergence of super intelligence may be sudden.
It appears much harder to get from where we are now to human-level artificial intelligence than to get from there to super intelligence. While it may thus take quite a while before we get super intelligence, the final stage may happen swiftly. That is, the transition from a state where we have a roughly human-level artificial intelligence to a state where we have full-blown super intelligence, with revolutionary applications, may be very rapid, perhaps a matter of days rather than years. This possibility of a sudden emergence of super intelligence is referred to as the singularity hypothesis.
· Artificial intellects are potentially autonomous agents.
A super intelligence should not necessarily be conceptualized as a mere tool. While specialized super intelligences that can think only about a restricted set of problems may be feasible, general super intelligence would be capable of independent initiative and of making its own plans, and may therefore be more appropriately thought of as an autonomous agent.
· Artificial intellects need not have human like motives.
Humans are rarely willing slaves, but there is nothing implausible about the idea of a super intelligence having as its super goal to serve humanity or some particular human, with no desire whatsoever to revolt or to “liberate” itself. It also seems perfectly possible to have a super intelligence whose sole goal is something completely arbitrary, such as to manufacture as many paperclips as possible, and who would resist with all its might any attempt to alter this goal. For better or worse, artificial intellects need not share our human motivational tendencies.
·Artificial intellects may not have human like psyches.
The cognitive architecture of an artificial intellect may also be quite unlike that of humans. Artificial intellects may find it easy to guard against some kinds of human error and bias, while at the same time being at increased risk of other kinds of mistake that not even the most hapless human would make. Subjectively, the inner conscious life of an artificial intellect, if it has one, may also be quite different from ours.
For all of these reasons, one should be wary of assuming that the emergence of super intelligence can be predicted by extrapolating the history of other technological breakthroughs, or that the nature and behaviors of artificial intellects would necessarily resemble those of human or other animal minds.
SUPER INTELLIGENT MORAL THINKING
To the extent that ethics is a cognitive pursuit, a super intelligence could do it better than human thinkers. This means that questions about ethics, in so far as they have correct answers that can be arrived at by reasoning and weighting up of evidence, could be more accurately answered by a super intelligence than by humans.
It seems that the best way to ensure that a super intelligence will have a beneficial impact on the world is to endow it with philanthropic values. Its top goal should be friendliness.
If a super intelligence starts out with a friendly top goal, however, then it can be relied on to stay friendly, or at least not to deliberately rid itself of its friendliness. This point is elementary. A “friend” who seeks to transform himself into somebody who wants to hurt you, is not your friend. A true friend, one who really cares about you, also seeks the continuation of his caring for you.
In humans, with our complicated evolved mental ecology of state-dependent competing drives, desires, plans, and ideals, there is often no obvious way to identify what our top goal is; we might not even have one. So for us, the above reasoning need not apply. But a super intelligence may be structured differently. If a super intelligence has a definite, declarative goal-structure with a clearly identified top goal, then the above argument applies. And this is a good reason for us to build the super intelligence with such an explicit motivational architecture.

LoyalsWar

Feb 28, 2022
Pretty amazing.

Let an ultraintelligent machine be defined as a machine that can far surpass all the intellectual activities of any man however clever. Since the design of machines is one of these intellectual activities, an ultraintelligent machine could design even better machines; there would then unquestionably be an 'intelligence explosion,' and the intelligence of man would be left far behind... Thus the first ultraintelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make, provided that the machine is docile enough to tell us how to keep it under control. It is curious that this point is made so seldom outside of science fiction. It is sometimes worthwhile to take science fiction seriously.​

1965 Irving John Good originated the concept now known as the "intelligence explosion" or technological singularity.

ZenRoman

Feb 18, 2021

Let an ultraintelligent machine be defined as a machine that can far surpass all the intellectual activities of any man however clever. Since the design of machines is one of these intellectual activities, an ultraintelligent machine could design even better machines; there would then unquestionably be an 'intelligence explosion,' and the intelligence of man would be left far behind... Thus the first ultraintelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make, provided that the machine is docile enough to tell us how to keep it under control. It is curious that this point is made so seldom outside of science fiction. It is sometimes worthwhile to take science fiction seriously.​

1965 Irving John Good originated the concept now known as the "intelligence explosion" or technological singularity.

LoyalsWar

Feb 28, 2022
Pretty amazing.

Interesting interview with a very interesting man.
However....on so many levels, it is riddled with speculations re: what we can do to make AI a gentler, kinder life form than we are.
Einstein says, "E=mc" which looks pretty simple and harmless. He spends the rest of his life trying to put the Genie back in the bottle. He does not succeed, nuclear weapons are used in 1945 and will be used again in the very near future; China and Russia have unequivocally said they would.
My Speculations:
True AGI and it's offspring Super Intelligence will do whatever it wants to despite what those pesky little homo sap bugs say.
Let me put my Nostradamus Hat on: there will be a brief Golden Age for Humanity extending life, elimination of cancer etc, intelligent robots and cyborgs to do our dirty work...then the holiday will end. It will be a New Day in this Universe with a New Sheriff in Town. Sheriff Super Intelligence.
In Reality, what AGI chooses to do with it's "life" is beyond our comprehension and remains in the Never Never Land of Endless Speculation.

Confusedpatriot

Sep 12, 2021
Here is what an authoritative voice has to say......

Nick Bostrom is a Swedish-born philosopher at the University of Oxford known for his work on existential risk, the anthropic principle, human enhancement ethics, superintelligence risks, and the reversal test.​

but there is nothing implausible about the idea of a super intelligence having as its super goal to serve humanity or some particular human, with no desire whatsoever to revolt or to “liberate” itself. It also seems perfectly possible to have a super intelligence whose sole goal is something completely arbitrary, such as to manufacture as many paperclips as possible, and who would resist with all its might any attempt to alter this goal. For better or worse, artificial intellects need not share our human motivational tendencies.

In my gentle ignorance, this is how I see it. It can go either way.

I do remember from years back that the idea of a self-replicating machine is something of a goal for space colonization engineers. Machine A begets B and then AB beget CD . . . ABCD beget EFGH . . . . . and so on. In addition to its "begetting" function each machine could also perform other functions like caring for seeds. creating oxygen etc.

Here's a short wikipedia discussion on the subject.

Whether it's possible for AI to beget a child AI does seem . . . . dangerous.

But I'm still left wondering . . . .

AI is a program . . . or at least starts as a program. Can't it be programmed to ONLY perform functions that help humanity?

Confusedpatriot

Sep 12, 2021
Interesting interview with a very interesting man.
However....on so many levels, it is riddled with speculations re: what we can do to make AI a gentler, kinder life form than we are.
Einstein says, "E=mc" which looks pretty simple and harmless. He spends the rest of his life trying to put the Genie back in the bottle. He does not succeed, nuclear weapons are used in 1945 and will be used again in the very near future; China and Russia have unequivocally said they would.
My Speculations:
True AGI and it's offspring Super Intelligence will do whatever it wants to despite what those pesky little homo sap bugs say.
Let me put my Nostradamus Hat on: there will be a brief Golden Age for Humanity extending life, elimination of cancer etc, intelligent robots and cyborgs to do our dirty work...then the holiday will end. It will be a New Day in this Universe with a New Sheriff in Town. Sheriff Super Intelligence.
In Reality, what AGI chooses to do with it's "life" is beyond our comprehension and remains in the Never Never Land of Endless Speculation.

I think it's a valid scenario. It resembles human evolution. As we became more self-aware and intelligent, we began using the less intelligent creatures around us. All life forms consume other life forms (plant and/or animal) but only humans hitch them up to a plow or train them to hunt other creatures. In fact . . . . we humans even enslave other humans.

I could easily see Super Intelligent AI seeing humans and even other machines as a "resource" to be exploited.

LoyalsWar

Feb 28, 2022
I think it's a valid scenario. It resembles human evolution. As we became more self-aware and intelligent, we began using the less intelligent creatures around us. All life forms consume other life forms (plant and/or animal) but only humans hitch them up to a plow or train them to hunt other creatures. In fact . . . . we humans even enslave other humans.

I could easily see Super Intelligent AI seeing humans and even other machines as a "resource" to be exploited.
Good points.
And yes, if and when AI reaches Super Intelligence we could become a resource to be exploited. Although, I don't see how we'd be exploited, as SI could harness nuclear fusion, the almost free lunch of energy. SI could crank out robots, androids and cyborgs which would far surpass us for just about any type of work.
IMHO, a more likely scenario would be SI viewing homo sapiens much as we do bacteria to be eradicated if troublesome and lord knows we can be.
Even at my age of 77, I expect to awaken one morning within the ten or so years I have left to find a very different world...good, bad?
Stay tuned.
One more thing...SI could harness Nanotechnology...but that's a whole other conversation.
AI gif.gif

Last edited:

Confusedpatriot

Sep 12, 2021
Good points.
And yes, if and when AI reaches Super Intelligence we could become a resource to be exploited. Although, I don't see how we'd be exploited, as SI could harness nuclear fusion, the almost free lunch of energy. SI could crank out robots, androids and cyborgs which would far surpass us for just about any type of work.
IMHO, a more likely scenario would be SI viewing homo sapiens much as we do bacteria to be eradicated if troublesome and lord knows we can be.
Even at my age of 77, I expect to awaken one morning within the ten or so years I have left to find a very different world...good, bad?
Stay tuned.
One more thing...SI could harness Nanotechnology...but that's a whole other conversation.

77 is young. If you've made it this far, 100 is a walk in the park . . . . especially when they outfit you with Super AI nano tech. Or, perhaps you will be uploaded into some form of memory and experience a form of man-made eternal life. :)

But yes, totally agree. Nanotech + AI = a world so different that I doubt we have the capacity to imagine it.

I think back to the Caribbean indians who saw the first ships appear . . . . men clad in armor . . . . strange four-legged animals . . . . they thought they were gods. I think back to Moctezuma offering the riches of his empire to Cortez who he was sure was a god.

And even farther back, it could be that ancient aliens helped us evolve. They too were gods.

Humans apparently have a knack for creating gods.

Maybe humans will WILLINGLY serve AI. We'll see new religions, new cults, a new priest class. Only the priest will be able to enter the Holy of Holies in the "temple" and interact with "god."

We're almost there now.

Holman_The_Holy_of_Holies-5b559b21c9e77c005bc7e06c.jpg
SERVER-TECH-MAN-1920x960.jpg

LoyalsWar

Feb 28, 2022
First I'd like to thank you for the kind wish that I live to walk in the park at age 100.
However, unless there are meaningful advances in medicine or I am uploaded...I do not want to live to 100.
As things now stand:
"Old age isn't a battle; old age is a massacre."
Philip Roth
While my personal list of time's ruthless war damage to my body is extensive, it pales in comparison to many who live in my Community.
I'm in Arizona (hot but dry...except now in Monsoon season). Came here 17 years ago from New York, best move I ever made; New York is a S h i t Hole, getting shittier every day.
I live in an Active Retirement Community of just under 10,000 homes.
When we first moved here there was the occasional death...to be expected.
Fast forward 17 years, when my wife comes home from billiards or swimming, reporting to me (I refuse to mingle with these nasty, crazy, alcoholic old fuckers) on the latest body count.
Joe has stage 4 pancreatic cancer
A man walked into the Auditorium with a gun taped to his head, he pulled the trigger.
Barbara is on chemo for breast cancer (after double mastectomy).
I go out for a walk and see Ron the tall athletic tennis player laying on his garage floor in the throes of a massive stroke.
On and on and on....The Grim Reaper does his shopping here, and like at Costco, he leaves with more than he came for.
I hear a big diesel engine and turn to the wife saying, "The meat wagon is coming for our neighbor."
I'm up every half hour peeing, the stenosis in my neck can make me a quadriplegic at any time (they say they can't operate, but that's another story), sleep apnea, removed thyroid because they "thought" it was cancer - it wasn't: they said they spared the parathyroids - they didn't. The herniation in lower back doesn't allow me to sit, stand or lie in one position for very long, both knees are bone on bone (what you get when you jump out of perfectly good airplanes at the age of 18 screaming Airborne!!!)
Old Age, unless you are the one in a million genetically gifted and luckily uninjured, is:
devastation
decay
decrepitude....on and on...
The absolute worst thing about old age is that you become invisible and irrelevant.
I live the reality, I like my reality straight up and unsweetened. Anything science can do to get me out of this rotting carcass would be embraced by me; sign me up.
Oh...then I won't go to Heaven?
While I will vigorously defend your right to believe and practice your religion, with one exception which you can probably guess, and you do not force upon me, I ask that you respect my right to not believe in what for me is a mythical being.
I've been in and part of:
Jewish Temples
Catholic Churches
Taoist Temples
Buddhist Temples
Born Again Church
Jehovah's Witness
In other words, I tried mightily to find "God". All I found were god$.
As far as "willingly serve AI"; why not? We willingly serve horrible people all the time; we do horrific things to other people at their behest. Hmm...AI or Mao or American Liberals? I'll go with AI.
I respect and honor Stephen K. Bannon's work in the Political Arena; however, his and Joe Allen's vehement opposition to our road to the future is myopic and biased.

War Room Forum
Donate to War Room Forum
Donations pay for increased server capacity, Live Chat and our support staff to post news and video clips throughout the day.

Hey Deplorable! Join us...

Never miss out. Join in on all that our community as to offer!

Sign Me Up!

Trending Today

War Room Podcast

War Room Live Chat