2015 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code E978 Legal Execution

• Join War Room Forum!

Welcome Deplorable! Please take a moment to Sign Up for a free account so you can join in on the LIVE CHAT and forum DISCUSSIONS.

Scout9

Feb 13, 2021
ICD codes are ones in which Medicare/Medicaid (CM= Centers for Medicare/Caid) will reimburse for various disorders, treatments. The mental health field adopted these codes several years back. This one is quite interesting as it a reimbursable code for legal executions: the very specific one which attracted my attention was BEHEADING, decapitation (by guillotine).

As a clarifying caveat we therapists do not recommend these codes for treatment. We get into your head; not advise taking it off. Not funny, but in my field morbid humor sometimes breaks the tension of all the trauma and pain in suffering people.

www.icd9data.com/2015/Volume1/E000-E999/E978/E978.htm

If this website does not work; you can type in duck-duck-go: ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code E978: Legal Execution. The url address may be scrubbed by now.

Last edited:

Scout9

Feb 13, 2021
You know, legally there must be a medical remedy for said injury to warrant reimbursement…. XD
I think you might have missed the actual document. This is not for an injury: I read there is an exception as in: "Applies to All executions performed at the behest of the judiciary or ruling authority (whether permanent or temporary) as: and then it lists 8 means of execution. This is not reimbursement for a medical remedy, it is a legal way to bill Medicare/Caid CM for all forms of capital punishment, as I understand it.
The ICD codes originated in European health organizations. And then America adopted their international codes and did away with America only codes; at least in the mental health profession. I would not have come across these codes on my own; hence the dry humor in the original post

Last edited:
Reactions: AngellicAngela

NvEric

Feb 7, 2021
Nevada
We get into your head; not advise taking it off. Not funny, but in my field morbid humor sometimes breaks the tension of all the trauma and pain in suffering people.
You are correct. Nice.
I had once hack-sawed into my thumb, and said I was aiming for my wrist, but someone asked me for the time.

Reactions: Scout9

OkieAnnie918

Feb 11, 2021
Interesting...
  • ICD-9-CM E978 is a billable medical code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim, however, E978 should only be used for claims with a date of service on or before September 30, 2015. For claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015, use an equivalent ICD-10-CM code (or codes).
  • E978 describes the circumstance causing an injury, not the nature of the injury.
  • No ICD-10-CM code(s) convert to ICD-9-CM E978
Applies To
  • All executions performed at the behest of the judiciary or ruling authority [whether permanent or temporary] as:
    • asphyxiation by gas
    • beheading, decapitation (by guillotine)
    • capital punishment
    • electrocution
    • hanging
    • poisoning
    • shooting
    • other specified means

Source: http://www.icd9data.com/2015/Volume1/E000-E999/E970-E979/E978/E978.htm
When I pass a kidney stone if I had to go to the ER the hospital billed my insurance anywhere from $1,800.00 to $5,000.00. Some docs ordered so many unnecessary tests it was crazy!! The protocol is IV or IM Ketorolac which costs approximately $6.00. I now always have it with me. I’m fortunate because of my medical background I am able to have it accessible at all times because if used improperly it can damage kidneys. My point is that a medical situation that could be resolved for less than 10.00 dollars gets kicked down the road and grows to over $1,800.00

Scout9

Feb 13, 2021
Interesting...
  • ICD-9-CM E978 is a billable medical code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim, however, E978 should only be used for claims with a date of service on or before September 30, 2015. For claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015, use an equivalent ICD-10-CM code (or codes).
  • E978 describes the circumstance causing an injury, not the nature of the injury.
  • No ICD-10-CM code(s) convert to ICD-9-CM E978
Applies To
  • All executions performed at the behest of the judiciary or ruling authority [whether permanent or temporary] as:
    • asphyxiation by gas
    • beheading, decapitation (by guillotine)
    • capital punishment
    • electrocution
    • hanging
    • poisoning
    • shooting
    • other specified means

Source: http://www.icd9data.com/2015/Volume1/E000-E999/E970-E979/E978/E978.htm
Quite interesting, indeed.

RMT

Feb 19, 2021
The mental health ICD codes were changed significantly during the Obama Admin. This was worrisome on many levels - one being he was going to go after firearms. Thus this shift in codes became "easier" - at least on the mental health side of medicine - for a dx (diagnosis) that was rather benign (common) that would show up as a flag in the system and a denial of purchase or confiscation of firearm.

Even physicians' offices began routinely including a "mental health" sheet to fill out along with the systems sheets we all complete upon arrival for one's appt. The mental health questionnaires varied from doc to doc, but...it was always for a bigger agenda - even beyond just owning a firearm. I NEVER filled one out and always wrote across the paper," I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DECLINE TO FILL OUT THIS FORM." Not one doc ever questioned me.

These codes are indeed for reimbursement purposes also for private insurance purposes, not just Medicare/Medicaid.

BTW, if you are ever hospitalized at a hospital that accepts Medicare/Medicaid for payment, you are in a government run facility, gov't rules supersede and ALL rules apply. Keep that in mind. I don't care how friendly the nurses and docs are...they MUST follow gov't guidelines.

Scout9

Feb 13, 2021
The mental health ICD codes were changed significantly during the Obama Admin. This was worrisome on many levels - one being he was going to go after firearms. Thus this shift in codes became "easier" - at least on the mental health side of medicine - for a dx (diagnosis) that was rather benign (common) that would show up as a flag in the system and a denial of purchase or confiscation of firearm.

Even physicians' offices began routinely including a "mental health" sheet to fill out along with the systems sheets we all complete upon arrival for one's appt. The mental health questionnaires varied from doc to doc, but...it was always for a bigger agenda - even beyond just owning a firearm. I NEVER filled one out and always wrote across the paper," I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DECLINE TO FILL OUT THIS FORM." Not one doc ever questioned me.

These codes are indeed for reimbursement purposes also for private insurance purposes, not just Medicare/Medicaid.

BTW, if you are ever hospitalized at a hospital that accepts Medicare/Medicaid for payment, you are in a government run facility, gov't rules supersede and ALL rules apply. Keep that in mind. I don't care how friendly the nurses and docs are...they MUST follow gov't guidelines.
You're right. It was during that time.

Scout9

Feb 13, 2021
ICD-9 codes have been defunct for several years. This information is dubious.
Yes, the mental health codes are up to par with ICD 10. What happened to the legal execution codes though? They did not seem to transfer over from 9 to 10.

Olefaithfull

Jun 7, 2021
How is it dubious? ICD codes evolve. It's how reimbursement happens. I forget the year ICD-9 were applicative., Nonetheless it will always be evolving, adding or revising. Never hurts to be aware.
ICD-10 was a massive revision of medical billing. It took a couple years to iron out the wrinkles.

If I substitute “salient “ for dubious, would you feel better.

Putting out info that is several years out of date can’t be weighted as pertinent.

RMT

Feb 19, 2021
ICD-10 was a massive revision of medical billing. It took a couple years to iron out the wrinkles.

If I substitute “salient “ for dubious, would you feel better.

Putting out info that is several years out of date can’t be weighted as pertinent.
Not necessary. I believe I understand what you were/are getting at. Some codes drop off and others are added -hence my statement these codes always evolve...some for nefarious reasons/forward looking agendas. It's not always as it seems.

BUT THEY ARE IMPORTANT TO BE AWARE OF.

Scout9

Feb 13, 2021
ICD-10 is compatible with IRS software. This is a first. You cannot imagine the pain it was adapting to that in the trade. Plus the implications to your so-called privacy.
In the mental health field, it was reportedly for ease in using billing software. Of course, no medical codes were used, only as they relate to mental health conditions. My question remains, though. What happened to those "Legal Execution codes"? Did they get scrubbed during Obama's years as they transferred over from the American Standard to ICD -9; the ICD 10 codes. It would surprise me if they no longer exist. Perhaps they no longer exist in the public eye? Not being a conspiracy promoter here; but Scripture is quite clear; those whom do not accept the mark of the beast will be beheaded. Revelation 20:4

Olefaithfull

Jun 7, 2021
In the mental health field, it was reportedly for ease in using billing software. Of course, no medical codes were used, only as they relate to mental health conditions. My question remains, though. What happened to those "Legal Execution codes"? Did they get scrubbed during Obama's years as they transferred over from the American Standard to ICD -9; the ICD 10 codes. It would surprise me if they no longer exist. Perhaps they no longer exist in the public eye? Not being a conspiracy promoter here; but Scripture is quite clear; those whom do not accept the mark of the beast will be beheaded. Revelation 20:4
With the excruciatingly painful ICD-10 codes, they’re probably still there but are unrecognizable. That’s the IRS way!!

Have you run a ICD-9 to ICD-10 code lookup?

Reactions: Scout9

War Room Live Chat

Support War Room With a Small Donation
Donations pay for increased server capacity, Live Chat and patriots/causes that appear on the show.

Hey Deplorable! Join us...

Never miss out. Join in on all that our community as to offer!

Sign Me Up!

Trending Today

War Room Podcast

War Room Live Chat